The Liberian Awards-What It Meant To Me




Please forgive me for the delay in my writing. On Friday August 23, 2013, I was once again very proud to be not only a Minority business, but an Internationally recognized Liberian Beauty Professional. Let me tell you a little about the Liberian Awards. Four years ago, Samantha Divine Jallah started this organization to recognize Liberian professionals in the Diaspora and to give scholarships to college students of Liberian descent. As I add this to my list of accolades, I cherish this award the most. Being recognized by my people with Africa being on the next economic frontier, I am truly honored. As I stood in the company of Doctors as Honorees as well, I could not help but to think about 1993, when I was laid of my job from British Telecom North America, not knowing how I was going to provided for my only son. As a single parent, I knew when I took the plunge that failure was not an option. I stood there with emotions, thinking about my dear mother, Mai Eastman; my loving Cousin and Sister, Nina Sabrina Dunbar; my Aunty Sophie and my Father, Tilman Dunbar Sr. I imagined how proud they would have been of me. I can see Mama now, with a beautiful smile just looking at me; Nina, being my first client and my human practice hand, I can see her beautiful eyes and pretty smile just laughing with joy; Aunty Sophie, with the cheer of assurance looking and being proud of the trail blazer and business woman I have become, reminding her of herself; and lastly, my hell cat Father Counselor Tilman Dunbar, sitting there tapping his fingers and looking on as a proud Father. This road has not always been easy, but whenever I want to give up, God shows me a sign to keep moving. I have created every opportunity for myself. I have been blessed to have strangers watch me work from afar and give me a chance. I have been blessed to have clients and friends that absolutely believe in me and my journey to succeed. They support my dreams and help to make my dreams a reality. I am so grateful to God, my family, clients, my agent, editors and my friends for believing in me and making Maisie Dunbar the little girl from Monorovia, Liberia, be “The Maisie Dunbar" the Brand!



Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts